the Wakefield Doctrine (…break time!)
The hunt is on! Scotts beware! There are encouraged clarks and excited rogers out today and they (think) they know what they are getting themselves into!
With the first ‘tag a scott’ Week officially under weigh this might be a good time to sit back and talk a little. Comfortable?
Apropos of nothing, one of my favorite sayings is ‘you can’t step in the same river twice’. If this internet, and by extension the blogosphere is not the perfect proof of the truth of this statement, then I am going to sit here and wait for roger to get it into his head to write some more Comments. Because even though the Wakefield Doctrine itself has not changed, if anything the theory of clarks, scotts and rogers has become even more ‘real’, the writing and therefore the writers have been changing.
So what? I’ll tell you so what!
I am writing this prima facie that there is a reader. You, in fact, are that person. (You read therefore I have written). Without this assumption there would be no reason to write. Independent of the practical value of the Wakefield Doctrine in terms of understanding those around us, the drive here is to be heard [read:read ha, ha]
So if we are writing this on the assumption there is a reader, then whats the river shit all about? Huh?
(I said ‘apropos of nothing’ didn’t I?) But since you asked, the point I guess is to get a sense of the fundamental impermanence of reality. The fact that there is nothing of the past that immutably connects to the present. Only our willingness to assume that we all keep to our scripts.
I think that noise you hear is the baleful mewling of a herd of rogers. Rogers, as we should all know by now are the guardians of continuity. By maintaining the past through rules and science, laws and traditions rogers let us learn! More so rogers are the reason we are self aware. Scotts are pure energy, here and now, no past no future, no much to build a civilization on. By keeping the belief that the world is by nature a quantifiable place, rogers allow us to stop and reflect on what was. Myths and legends are as important a contribution from the rogerian faction as is the science and engineering that they also have given us.
(Quick break.) (Hey clark, easy up on the metaphysics there, pal! The rogers are getting glassy eyed and the scotts are starting to gnaw on the furniture)
(OK, I get. Anyone for Bullet Points? (Everyone loves Bullet Points!)
- rogers are your engineers, accountants, doctors (but not surgeons)
- rogers are your carpenters and craftsmen, (but not your General Contractors)
- rogers are your teachers (at least the ones that end school adminstrators)
- scotts are your performers, your front men/women
- there are three occupations in the world: salesmen, scientist and machine operator
- scotts are your salesmen, not necessarily literally, just the person who is driven to make others conform to their Will
- clarks are your scientists, the creative one of the three, looking for what isn’t, not at all concerned with practical application
- rogers are your machine operators, not just engineers, but musicians, any one who needs to follow the rules
Time to get back to the show!
When we last left her, roger was sidling up to the scottian executive. Thinking that the wind was to her back she would be safe. But in walks a clark, making a fearsome racket of ‘why is this?’ and ‘what is that?’. Drat! the scott has caught a scent.
Run away! Run away!